As a tantric sex educator, I realize that many men fail to grasp what the drug Viagra actually does. Many men believe that it will boost libido, which is not always the case. Rather than causing a man to become sexually aroused, Viagra only works if he is sexually aroused. Studying the mechanics of the male erection is the sole way to understand how Viagra works.
In 1998, when Viagra hit the market, many men assumed it would answer their sex-related prayers, so they bolted to their doctor’s office to get it. According to the Grey Clinic in Indianapolis that specializes in erectile dysfunction, 17% of men between 18 and 55 experience occasional impotence, while 6% have regular erectile difficulties. For men over 55, that number jumps to 33.3%. Common causes of male impotence include diabetes, heart disease and those psychological issues, which frequently set in following prostate cancer surgery.
The Mechanics of Male Erection
During an erection, blood flows quickly into the penis, which increases its length, width and firmness. If the “in” vessels (arteries) are too narrow or blood drains too quickly through the out” vessels (veins), it may be tough to achieve or maintain an erection. When a man gets sexually stimulated, the nervous system in the erectile tissue of the penis releases nitric oxide. This stimulates a chain reaction causing the arteries in the penis to dilate, allowing the blood to flow into the penis more easily. The erectile tissue itself fills with blood. Both these processes result in erection. Basically, if your body doesn’t make enough nitric oxide, Viagra fills in. Note that Viagra only works with sexual stimulation, and does not increase sexual desire or libido. Thus, if you take Viagra when you are not aroused, your brain will not stimulate the release of any nitric oxide and you will not get erect. Further, while Viagra has been proven to be a safe and effective, the drug does not suit everyone and may not work in all cases.
Viagra And Blood Pressure. Viagra can slightly lower blood pressure, which is not an issue for most men; however, its effect on blood pressure is exaggerated if Viagra is taken with a nitrate drug. Doctors often prescribe nitrates to treat angina. Now you take Viagra while also taking nitrates, the combined effect can lower your blood pressure to a potentially fatal extent. More often than not, men get bad headaches from using Viagra, cannot differentiate between the colors blue and green or simply find that Viagra just doesn’t work for them. Beyond Viagra, there are other natural ways to stop the degradation of certain molecules, that increases nitric oxide production. You may also need to fix the hormonal and chemical imbalances that inhibit libido, which can keep you from wanting sex. In this vicious cycle, a lack of sex lowers the nitric oxide, testosterone and growth hormones normally produced by having sex.
Natural Viagra Options
- Natural Nitric Oxide Boosters. Nitric oxide greatly benefits the male body. Indeed, it is a key ingredient behind erections, and inhibits cardiovascular disease by relaxing arterial walls, dilating the vessels, and promoting blood flow. It improves brain function and reduces cognitive decline since it enhances blood flow to the brain and functions as a secondary neurotransmitter between nerve cells. High nitric oxide levels can also enhance your workout effectiveness as your muscles receive more oxygen and nutrients when your veins are dilated and circulation is enhanced. Similarly, it also shortens your recovery time.
- Exercise. Human beings are designed to be constantly on the move, walking, running, swimming or climbing. Any exercise from moderate walking to extreme strength training, has been shown to increase nitric oxide levels, both, temporarily and the baseline. Also if you regularly work out at the gym, nitric oxide production will increase as your muscles increase in size. Your body notices that the muscles need more blood, oxygen, and nutrients, so it increases the baseline nitric oxide levels.
- Nitrate Rich Foods. Once you ingest food, bacteria in your gut converts the nitritines into nitric oxide. Nitrite-rich foods include spinach, beets, celery, aragula lettuce, iceberg lettuce, carrots, parsley, cabbage, radishes and collard greens.
- Vitamin C and Garlic. Vitamin C has been proven to increase nitric oxide production in the body, and also protect the molecules. On the other hand, garlic is filled with nitrates as well as the compound quercetin, linked to increased nitric oxide levels in various studies. According to studies, garlic is more effective at reducing high blood pressure than most drugs on the market.
- Quercetin. This works extremely well with other similar compounds like resveratrol, procyanidin, tannins, tea catechins, and genistein to increase nitric oxide levels. Excellent food sources containing quercetin include onions, garlic, chives, apples, grapes and red wine.
Men who suffer from erectile dysfunction (ED) may benefit from drinking watermelon juice so as to boost blood flow to the penis without the blue pill’s side effects. The cool watermelon is devoured to satisfy our thirst and hunger during the warmer months, but the juicy fruit can also satisfy you between the sheets. Coined as “nature’s Viagra” by Italian scientists, watermelon juice can benefit men who suffer from mild to moderate ED. According to a study published in the journal Urology, citrulline, an amino acid found in high concentrations of watermelon, improves blood flow to the penis without Viagra’s nasty side effects.
- Citrulline.L-Citrulline is an amino acid that your kidneys will convert into L-arginine, that will then convert into nitric oxide. This means supplementation with L-citrulline is a natural way to increase nitric oxide levels. You can get some citrulline by eating watermelon. A newly found Viagra-like food, watermelon is rich in citrulline that relaxes blood vessels and improves blood circulation in the genitals, just like Viagra. Note that the highest level of citrulline is found in the seedless watermelon types called Hazera SW1 and Solid Gold and the seeded Summer Gold watermelon varieties. As well, watermelon rind generally contains citrulline in high quantities.
- Sunlight.Natural sunlight triggers the skin to produce vitamin D, it will also trigger the skin to synthentise more nitric oxide (provided that you don’t use sunscreens that block the sun. University of Edinburgh researchers found out that when sunlight touches the skin, nitric oxide is instantly released into the bloodstream. They also concluded that sunlight exposure can significantly increase longevity by cutting the risk of stroke.
- Boost Low Testosterone. As a man ages, the testosterone levels in his body naturally decline. This tends to happen after the age of 30 and continues throughout the lifespan. Inadequate testosterone may cause a man to lose his sex drive, experience erectile dysfunction, feel depressed, have an impaired sense of well being, and have difficulty concentrating.
Causes of Low Testosterone Levels
- loss of the testicles
- Chemotherapy or radiation treatment
- Pituitary gland malfunction
- Inflammatory disease; i.e., sarcoidosis (condition causing lung inflammation)
- Medications, especially hormones used to treat prostate cancer and corticosteroids
- Chronic illness
- Kidney failure
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Obesity (especially abdominal)
- Grape Seed Extract The extract benefits testosterone production, as it’s one of the few natural substances that can actually block the conversion from testosterone into estrogen. Grape seed extract is also ideal for increasing nitric oxide levels, Plus, studies on humans show that it drops blood pressure and heart rate while animal studies show that it activates the body’s natural nitric oxide synthase and increases levels by 138% when taken at doses of 100mg/kg.
- Cold Water Fish. Cold water fish include salmon, tuna, mackerel and sardines. these fish have a high zinc content, which plays a crucial role in testosterone production.
- Pumpkin Seeds. Like oysters, these seeds are high in zinc, essential for healthy sperm production and preventing testosterone deficiency in men. They are also loaded with libido vitamins and minerals like vitamin B, E, C, D, K and minerals including calcium, potassium, niacin and phosphorous. Next Halloween, make sure to roast all those left over pumpkin seeds in the oven. Adding seeds like pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds to your meal is an easy way to increase your sex drive. Seeds contain Omega 3 fatty acids and zinc, which play a crucial role in regulating sex hormones levels. Eating just one tablespoon of seeds a day may elevate your testosterone level for the hottest night imaginable.
- Ginseng. Interestingly, several human studies show how ginseng increases testosterone and nitric oxide, while it improves circulation, promotes sleep quality, relaxes arteries, and boosts libido.
- Resveratrol. This compound increases testosterone levels and reducing estrogen levels, but reservatrol not only promotes hormonal balance, it’s also a potent nitric oxide booster. Drink red wine and eat grapes.
- Bananas. Added to the most potent natural Viagra food list are bananas, due to their energy content. Bananas are high in vitamin B, that keep your energy level high for a long time, which also supports testosterone production that increases sex drive.
- Oats. Energy boosting breakfasts that contain cereals using oats is an arguably unmatched libido boosting meal. Oats up energy levels and keep testosterone and estrogen at the right levels for a steamy performance. Adding seeds and dried fruits to your bowl will also increase the enhancing effect.
Libido-Boositng Foods For Men
Eating specific foods can jumpstart your mojo, thus inspiring you to get into a sexy mood. Because these specific love foods stimulate sexual desire, they are prized worldwide. These foods also have circulatory, relaxant and muscle strengthening effects, or visual, tactile or sensory impact that stimulates the psyche. Many other so-called aphrodisiacs can be dangerous, either to the consumer or endangered species supplying the ingredient. To wit, Spanish fly comes from a blister beetle that contains a caustic acid-like juice called cantharidin. This causes a burning or swelling sensation in the urinary tract, often misconstrued as sexual stimulation.
Before turning to exotic substances, consider improving your health, because as reported in the American Journal of Medicine in 2007, erectile dysfunction is highly correlated with poor physical health and inactivity. More than 50% of diabetics, 44% of those with high blood pressure, and 26% of subjects watching three or more hours of television per day had trouble achieving an erection either “sometimes” or “always.” Also, the side effects of diet and exercise include better self-confidence, the best aphrodisiac of all. After all, the brain is your largest sexual organ.
Boost Your Libido Naturally By Consciously Consuming These Viagra-like Foods
Pomegranate. Men who want to improve their sexual performance should drink pomegranate juice. According to the study conducted by California scientists, a glass of pomegranate juice works because the juice is high in antioxidants, which boosts blood flow to the genitalia. Drink a glass of pomegranate juice daily for a month to boost your male libido and reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer and heart disease.
- Oysters. Current research shows oysters improves dopamine levels which boosts libido in men and women. Oysters are also high in zinc which is vital for testosterone production and healthy sperm.
- Maca. According to Discovery Health’s medicine hunter Chris Kilam, the maca plant is used by the Peruvian culture to increase strength, stamina, energy, fertility and libido.
- Raisins. Known to boost libido and arouse you when needed thanks to arginine, rains have long been used to treat sexual issues like erectile dysfunction. Besides, raisins are a terrific source of energy, which always leads to a superlative sex performance!
- Spinach. Spinach is also a natural remedy for erectile dysfunction. Like most of the green leafy vegetables, spinach contains vitamin E, which stimulates the release of sex hormones. It is also a great libido-boosting food for women as it has manganese, which increases female fertility by stimulating the production of estrogen. Spinach is also rich in zinc, which contributes to better sperm quantity & quality.
- Asparagus. Known for its suggestive shape, asparagus is high in a B vitamin known as folate that aids in increasing the production of histamine, which is vital for a strong libido in men and women.
- Strawberries. For better sexual performance, include a variety of fruits in your diet. Fruits, such as strawberries are rich in vitamin C, known to keep your libido at a high level. Eating up to 1,000 mgs of vitamin C-rich fruits will considerably improve sperm count and its quality. Strawberries are often used as natural stimulant for men and women.
- Chilli. Add some spices in your foods while cooking! Chilli pepper is known to increase blood flow in your body, as well as increasing libido. However, it will also stimulate the production of endorphins that make you feel aroused and elated.
- Dark Chocolate/Cacao. A great aphrodisiac, dark chocolate not only heightens your mood and reduces stress, but also improves your sex life. Chocolate is rich in phenethylamine, chemicals that can relax you and increase your sexual pleasure. Serotonin in chocolate also contributes to boosting your libido.
- Garlic. Eating raw garlic may make your lover turn the other way in bed, but it can really stir up your sexual desire. The heat in garlic stirs up your libido, while its allicin content can increase blood flow to sexual organs. However, you must consume it for a month to reap its rewards as it does not work overnight. If you dislike raw garlic, buy the capsules found at your local natural food market.
If you want to improve your sex life, stock your pantry with an assortment of these amazing aphrodisiac food items, and eat them regularly. You may even lose weight in the process. Besides, all that extra pleasurable sex-ercise is a fabulous bonus.
I am Dakini Devi Bliss, a Certified Tantric Teacher Sacred Intimate, Blissful Bodyworker and Certified Bondassage® practitioner. A lifelong spiritual seeker, I have been formally trained in energetic aura manipulation, hypnosis, Kundalini awakening, Tantric healing, massage therapy, Reiki and Dark Tantra. In my multi-disciplined approach, I manipulate sexual energy for the highest good. With a background in tantra, kundalini yoga, meditation, qi gong, energy work, sexual psychology and relationship coaching, I am also a certified Bondassage® and Elysium practitioner. I employ a unique, rich healing blend for each client. My tantra training initiation was a lengthy process extending over several years, including studies in India, to gain the requisite experience to instruct others. My spiritually-based practice is ideal for those who wish to embrace a higher, enlightened state and use tantra to create kundalini awakening and a deeper connection to their partner(s). I possess a nurturing, joyful nature with a peaceful warrior mindset.